Saturday, May 3, 2008

day 6

Tomorrow it will have officially been a week since I set out on this excursion, that is seroiusly insane! Today was quite the boring day, I did a whole bunch of nothing because I felt ill. I had baroque class at 930, we went to the Barberini Palace which is house to an art gallery, pieces travel to and from it throughout the year. Today I was privileged enough to see Judith and Holofernes by the famous Caravaggio. It was pretty incredible to see this work in person, it is huge, I had no idea it would be that large. His work is marked by his use of chiaroscuro and tenebrism, for that reason I love it. His use of lights and darks and the contrast that provides is simply put, amazing. I would like to convey this in some of my photos, and hope to find some harsh lighting over the next few weeks. After class we were headed to the beach to meet up with just about everyone from our group. We grabbed a bite to eat real quick, I had a chicken sandwich after I ate it I felt like crap. So I decided to ditch out and head back to the hotel because it was about an hour ride to get to the beach adn was not really feeling up to swimming anyway. So I went home laid down for aminute, the maids needed to come and clean though so I left and walked around for about 2 hours, I just cruised past a bunch of markets and stuff, and of course the fake men well not fake men, men selling fake stuff. Than I headed back home. Stopped in for a bueno and ended up buying a powerade and these cute little cookie treats, they are like a sugar cookie, in the shapes of a heart and a spade, they are so cute! The top is half covered in chocolate and the bottom is completely covered in chocolate. They are not very sweet but surprisingly amazing I love them! uh oh something else to add to the list of must haves in Italy ahah. Went back home and worked on some pics, than had a little nap, I was so tired and still feeling sick. People started trickling back from the beach so we all chatted and than we went down to dinner. I saw Haynes and he told me he got me a stone from the beach since I was feeling sick and didnt go. What a little cutie!!! Pretty sure dinner was amazing, and dessert Tiramisu was incredible!!

Here is an elementary school I ventured by today, I can not believe how much it does not look like a school. No play yard or anything. A few windows have paper cut outs on them but nothing remotely close to our elem. schools. Apparently they have school monday through sunday from 8 in the morning to about 130, and they all head home with about 4 hours of homework and 30 lbs of books. If I see someone leaving school Ill have to document that as well.Prettu sure this is what my dessert looked like prior to devouring it.

Our reaction to the amazing stuff, as you can tell I LOVED it!! I sat by Steve at dinner and he was laughing at how crazy I am. Also I started playing with some images today for my portfolio and independent study with Simon. This was yesterday in Assisi they had some amazing lilac trees (im pretty sure it was a tree???) Well tomorrow is church and the pantheon. Maybe a little shopping, yeah that sounds nice.

Ciao

1 comment:

The Coons Family said...

Oh how fun!!! Are you going to take any side trips??