Thursday, May 8, 2008

Another day, I seriously lost count

Long day again, we got going this morning and went to some more churches. Saw about 15 Caravaggio paintings this morning, which I love. I love his use of chiaroscuro and tenebrism, the lighting and stark contrast in his paintings are amazing. Pictures honestly do no justice. We also went to the piazza navona where I did my report on the Fountain of Four Rivers by Bernini. That was scary because I could not find the actual report that I had written this morning, so I just kind of winged it but I think things went well. The fountain is huge, way bigger than I imagined. Than I had my little lunch adventure with Haynes, see below. We all met up again and went to the Villa Borghese we saw some incredible sculptures by Bernini. I was extremely impressed by three. The David, Apollo and Daphne, and another one I think it is called Pluto and Persefanie. Anyway they were all incredible, the detail and textures portrayed, there was another sculpture that he did at the age of 11 that blew me away! It was insane, pics were not allowed in there so sadly nothing to show you. I bought a postcard though, you could look them up online if you are really intrigued! Than I went to see the Moses by Michelangelo, it was really neat, the intenisty and emotion portrayed in that sculpture is incredible as well. I met up with Haynes and Arianna, we all tried to get on the metro but the thing was stuffed I couldnt fit. Pretty sure that happened with 4 trains. I stood there in awe and stupidity as I kept being unable to fit on the train. There was a metro cop who kept walking by me and I wanted to know if he was laughing really hard deep down. The 5th train finally had a lot less people and I got on. Came home and on the way I got Gabby some really cute shoes. I opened the box when I got to the hotel though and one was a 27 and the other was a 28 so I am going back tomorrow to try and switch for 2 27s. I was laughing and it might be pretty difficult because she spoke no English, and I no Italian, oh well I will try. Had dinner, veal and french fries not bad. Than 2 other girls and I went to Piazza Navona where I bought my painting a beautiful street in Venice, I am so excited to get it framed and hang it!! I was choosing between 2 and I bought it from one guy it was 15 euros cheaper and I liked it better, but Stefanie wanted me to look at a painting from him she wanted so I had to go back over there. And he was like why dont you buy from me I would offer same price and he kept bugging me so finally I just said I liked this one better, the other girls started laughing so hard. Tomorrow we are going to go to a farmers market thing, I am pretty excited it should be super fun.

Ciao

The beginning image of my alphabet in Italy book.
Haynes wanted to try this pork sandwich, they have this huge cooked pig, fresh everyday and as you walk by they offer it to you to try it. The guy was Italian but he spoke english and quite well. So we went and got a sandwich, he prepared it for us, put some spicy stuff on it, not sure what it was, some olive paste stuff looked like mud, dried tomatoes and maybe something else. Anyway I quit looking at the stuff he put on and just tried it. It was actually really good and really cheap and than we talked about America and other things it was a fun little lunch adventure.
I look weird in this pic for some reason, can not quite put my finger on it but I am about to try the pig sandwich and be very impressed.
Nick these were the shoes I was talking about, do you still want them?

A pic for my portfolio maybe, the sun rise from my bathroom window!! The building is not quite the silhouette it looks like on this pic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha this is Nick. But you look chinese in that picture, no offense. And also, those shoes look tight but I dont need anything like that..that costs a lot. A few gangster tee's will do.